I’m your host John Harrison, professional psychotherapist and coach, and I’m getting the project started by talking to someone who has been a big inspiration to me. Melvin Varghese is a therapist and Founder of the podcast and blog Selling the Couch, which helps aspiring and current mental health private practitioners to become better business owners.
“If you want to get to a certain place, one of the best time and financial investments you can make is to invest in people that have already done it and have had success.”
John and I talk about how he found himself in the mental health podcasting niche, the things that he learned about himself and his business by starting a podcast, and great tips for people looking to further their careers by starting a podcast.
Melvin saw an opportunity to serve a larger population and develop alternative income streams by podcasting. It is a unique medium because podcast listeners are consuming episodes passively, while doing other things, and headphones allow podcast hosts to speak directly into the ears of their listeners.
“At the end of my life I didn’t want to have a bag of I Wish I Had Done This and Regrets. I wanted to have a life where, even if I failed at something, I could tell myself and I could tell my family that at least I took the step.”
Selling the Couch’s first episode launched with nine listeners during the first week. It currently has around 170,000. So many people stop when they feel overwhelmed or feel the process is taking too long, but Melvin believes the most successful people understand that the building stage is temporary and necessary. Overcoming obstacles in the season of building will help prepare you for growth.
“Everybody goes through the season of building.”
If you are interested in starting a podcast, Melvin has some great advice:
- Launching a podcast has a lot of potential because it is still a new medium, but it is not easy on a practical level or an emotional level.
- There’s a lot of free content all over the web. Melvin has The Complete Guide to Launching Your Podcast available for free on his website.
- Invest in people that have already started podcasting and have had success. Reach out to people who resonate with you or hire a coach.
- If you’re at a stage where you’re ready to scale your business, a podcast can help you extend your reach beyond your immediate geographic area. 71% of people are consuming podcasts on smartphones, and in 2016 there are 2.3 billion smartphones in the world. By 2020 it is projected there will be 6.1 billion smartphones.
Melvin has a very intentional morning routine that sets him up for success every day. He’s in bed by 9:00 and up by 4:45; spends his first hour drinking 32 ounces of warm lemon water, working out and meditating; then watches a TED Talk to get into the right mindset.
“If I’m going to consume media, I want to start my day by consuming media that is about people that are doing big things in the world because it puts me in the right mindset.”
Melvin is a huge inspiration and a key part of me launching this podcast, so I can’t thank him enough for being my first guest. His podcasting course is an extremely useful resource for aspiring podcasters, and you can find the Selling the Couch podcast on his website, iTunes or Google Play.
- Learn more about Melvin: Selling the Couch | Facebook | Twitter
- Sign up for Melvin’s Podcasting Course
- Check out Melvin’s free Complete Guide to Launching Your Podcast
- Watch Simon Sinek’s TED Talk: How Great Leaders Inspire Action
- Blue Ocean Strategy by Renée Mauborgne and W. Chan Kim
- Learn more about me and my coaching at JohnHarrisonCounseling.com